Browns season 2021

Home Forums Sports

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 3:52 PM

Ah….there it is

BR1986FB

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 4:17 PM

On the same day they agreed to trade for WR Amari Cooper, the Browns also have granted permission to veteran WR Jarvis Landry to see a trade, per sources.

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 4:21 PM

Landry moving on would be obvious. Contract is way too big. 

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 4:24 PM

What are the opinions on the Watson rumors?  I’m not sure how I feel. 

gut

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 4:33 PM

Given prosecutors "could indict a ham sandwich", but couldn't indict Watson with 20 accusers....if you had ONE highly believable/credible accuser, that should have been enough.  If you had half a dozen weak/suspect accusers, that should have been enough to go to trial....And I doubt the DA tanked the case.

gut

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 4:36 PM

I could see JuJu ending up with CLE for a reasonable price.  He can be a very good slot/3rd receiver, but I think he has delusions of grandeur.  Don't think there will be much of market for him, so he'll be looking for a place he can put up some numbers on a 1-yr "prove it" deal.  He's not re-signing with PIT unless maybe they get Mariota or Trubisky.

Laley23

GOAT

Sat, Mar 12, 2022 6:59 PM

Give me Watson is possible. Tired of losing. Don’t care about peoples characters since no other team in the league or fan does. 

BR1986FB

Sun, Mar 13, 2022 5:06 PM

Depending on if/how this shakes out with Watson, Tampa Bay has expressed interest in Mayfield.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Mar 13, 2022 5:40 PM

Not sure on salaries and would probably change my stance….but I’d much rather have BM than Mason Rudolph

gut

Sun, Mar 13, 2022 5:59 PM

There's probably at least 40 guys I'd take over Rudolph.  He doesn't have an NFL arm.

I think, if I were a CLE fan, I'd be interested in what Mariota or Trubisky could do in that offense, for a lot less money than Mayfield.

BR1986FB

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 7:52 AM

Sound like Jarvis Landry has expressed interest in restructuring his deal so he can play next to Amari Cooper.

BR1986FB

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 10:54 AM

Packers released pass rusher Za'Darius Smith. He's had 29 sacks in his last 33 games. Would definitely take a look at him.

Browns are currently $3 million OVER the cap but I expect that to drop with releases, restructures, etc.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 11:22 AM

Yeah, Rudolph seems to be more of a dink-and-dunk QB who will give you about 7 yards a completion and take advantage of about 15% of his WR group's talent. Kind of guy who might be okay to call on in a pinch as a sub, but offers no optimism as a starter.

Mayfield is more of an interesting case in that he was overall pretty good in 2020, but sucked last year -- but had the built-in excuse of being injured. So, it comes down to deciding whether his 2021 performance was more due to playing hurt or to defenses figuring him out and him responding with very questionable decision-making. Leads to one of those potential Murphy's Law situation where if you let him go and he reverts back to 2020 form with a new team, you look like an idiot; but if you stick with him and 2021 winds up not being a fluke, well, you also look like an idiot.

BR1986FB

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 11:28 AM
posted by Heretic

Yeah, Rudolph seems to be more of a dink-and-dunk QB who will give you about 7 yards a completion and take advantage of about 15% of his WR group's talent. Kind of guy who might be okay to call on in a pinch as a sub, but offers no optimism as a starter.

Mayfield is more of an interesting case in that he was overall pretty good in 2020, but sucked last year -- but had the built-in excuse of being injured. So, it comes down to deciding whether his 2021 performance was more due to playing hurt or to defenses figuring him out and him responding with very questionable decision-making. Leads to one of those potential Murphy's Law situation where if you let him go and he reverts back to 2020 form with a new team, you look like an idiot; but if you stick with him and 2021 winds up not being a fluke, well, you also look like an idiot.

I tend to think that Mayfield is somewhere in between 2020 and the rest of his career. Don't think he's horrible but don't think he's elite either.

Everyone always clamors for the "we gotta have an elite franchise QB!" There's maybe 8-10 of those in the league. They aren't the easiest to find.

Mayfield didn't perform well at all last year. Part of that was on him (decision making/not seeing the field well), the injury and Stefanski. The head coach did him no favors with a lot of the positions he put him in. When I have a Steeler fan (my buddy) telling me "is your head coach an idiot? You have a stud running back and an injured QB. We (Steeler fans) expected you to run all over us since the run defense has been bad and you have an injured QB slinging it all over the place with a rookie RT blocking TJ Watt with no help.

I think Mayfield is above serviceable but don't ever seeing him being elite or top 10.

BR1986FB

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 12:22 PM

So much for restructures. Landry released.

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 12:26 PM

For the best. They have to be targeting WR at 13. So Landry, even restructured, was gonna be too much for a slot/3 WR.

BR1986FB

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 12:34 PM
posted by Laley23

For the best. They have to be targeting WR at 13. So Landry, even restructured, was gonna be too much for a slot/3 WR.

Heard they're still looking at a slot (Christian Kirk?) in FA.

gut

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 2:41 PM
posted by BR1986FB

I think Mayfield is above serviceable but don't ever seeing him being elite or top 10.

I agree 100%.  He's one of those middle-of-the-pack guys, literally maybe 15-16th best QB in the league.  But long-term starter, and for the right price that might work.  I think he makes about $19M this year, which seems about right for what he's been.  If he'll extend for @ $20M per year with cheap outs for the team, that probably works.

Have to remember, too, that he's had a very talented offense around him.  What does he look like with even average talent around him?

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Mar 14, 2022 2:49 PM

If the option is a clear upgrade (Watson), you take it. If the alternative is unproven rookie or middling QB (Jimmy G, etc) you keep Baker. If they are around the same, give me the guy who knows system, has been a starter in Cleveland, etc. 

But, you're not doing your job as GM if you arent trying to find that first option -- the clear upgrade.

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 15, 2022 7:27 AM

Haslam's are flying to meet with Watson today. Do I think the Browns have a snowball's chance in Hell getting him? No, but the fact that this info has leaked pretty much assures me that this is likely the last season of Mayfield in Brown & Orange, from both sides perspective.

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 15, 2022 8:51 AM

Browns have traded Mack Wilson to the Patriots for OLB Chase Winovich

BR1986FB

Tue, Mar 15, 2022 11:47 AM

JC Tretter released

What's interesting is that the most obvious release, Case Keenum, remains on the roster. Insurance if they get Watson as a spot starter while Watson's suspended?

friendfromlowry

Tue, Mar 15, 2022 11:09 PM

So Baker Mayfield wrote a nice thank you note to Cleveland. That seems…interesting. Sounds like he wants out regardless of what happens with Watson?

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Mar 16, 2022 12:12 AM

I don’t see Baker starting for Cleveland next year. 

BR1986FB

Wed, Mar 16, 2022 5:57 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

So Baker Mayfield wrote a nice thank you note to Cleveland. That seems…interesting. Sounds like he wants out regardless of what happens with Watson?

The Browns have completely botched how they've handled this. They will unlikely have a viable starting QB when the season starts.  It will likely be some shit sack like Winston or Mariota. I doubt they land Watson. 

The fact that this has leaked I'm sure has pissed off Mayfield. If I were him, after what he's done to help make the franchise relevant again, I wouldn't want to return. 

There are already rumors that they may have possible trades for him with Seattle & Indianapolis. 

If I were to guess, this is likely all Haslam's doing. Every time something like this happens I picture Haslam as the guy who played George Steinbrenner in Seinfeld.