2020 Presidential Election thread

Home Forums Politics

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sun, May 3, 2020 1:26 PM
posted by like_that

I have dropped this quote from my friend before, but let's real as far as the left is concerned (and you can extend this to the right) it's not so much the pussy grabbing, but who actually is doing the pussy grabbing. 

With that being said, anyone who has virtued about Donald being a pussy grabber will now be 100% full of shit if they vote for Biden.  Just like anyone who virtued about Bill was 100% full of shit when they voted for Donald (I plugged this in here, because boogie was going to come in with his whataboutism about evangelicals).

I agree with your sentiment. Don't forget though that as poorly as Kavanaugh got treated, he still got the job. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Sun, May 3, 2020 3:44 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I agree with your sentiment. Don't forget though that as poorly as Kavanaugh got treated, he still got the job. 

Yeah, that makes it a lot better for Kavanaugh.

Spock

Sun, May 3, 2020 4:12 PM

That's a good standard to set. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sun, May 3, 2020 8:48 PM
posted by like_that

Yeah, that makes it a lot better for Kavanaugh.

That wasn't my point. My point was for all the craziness this stuff causes, it often doesn't change the outcome. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Mon, May 4, 2020 3:32 AM

That wasn't my point. My point was for all the craziness this stuff causes, it often doesn't change the outcome. 

I wasn't coming at this with the angle of how it will affect Biden.  I am pointing out the hypocrisy of how both are/were covered.  It's pretty clear one is not being covered or treated like the other.

I don't think it will affect the election, but it would be interesting to see how it would play out if the media treated Biden the same way as they did Kavanaugh.  As I already said, it's not about the pussy grabbing, but who does it.  The media won't cover it the same way though, so we will never know if it would have an impact.  This story is already getting buried and will be fully buried within a month (unless anything else comes out). 

Your example is an apples to oranges comparison though.  One guy had a GOP president appoint him with a majority GOP senate confirming him.  Kavanaugh could have gone sleeveless with a swastika tattoo at his hearing and it would not have mattered if the GOP were going to confirm him.  Biden doesn't have that same guarantee, considering he needs to win an election.  Negative media coverage has more of an impact on an election than a senate confirmation. 

QuakerOats

Mon, May 4, 2020 12:26 PM

Journalists mock NY Times' call for 'unbiased' DNC panel to ...

www.foxnews.com › media › axios-reporter-mocks-ny-ti...

21 hours ago - The New York Times editorial board faced mockery from multiple ... assault allegation against former Vice President Joe Biden be investigated ...

What a complete disgrace that paper has become.  It’s as if it had been written on April Fools Day.

gut

Mon, May 4, 2020 4:49 PM
posted by like_that

I am pointing out the hypocrisy of how both are/were covered. 

I'm still anxiously awaiting the calls for "if he's innocent, he'd WANT an FBI investigation in order to prove it!!!"

It was interesting, though, when asked if he'd allow a search of his records that Biden immediately went to [paraphrasing] "well there's too many other things in there that could be taken out of context and exploited by the Trump campaign".  Fair and valid point, but that's not the question he was asked.  So she repeated the question about a search specifically limited to Reade.  And he again deflected the question.  I think she may have even asked a third time.  It was funny to watch her frustration that he dodged her softball question turn to actual concern/realization that Biden might be burying Reade's proof.

But let's be fair - when Biden says he doesn't remember her he's probably being entirely honest.  I'm sure Biden was a player, and it wouldn't surprise me that there are other formal complaints against him that he's hoping aren't discovered.

gut

Wed, May 6, 2020 1:29 PM
posted by justincredible

This Linda Hirshman woman wrote an opinion piece on how she fully believes Tara Reade but will vote for Joe Biden anyway.

It will never happen, but this SHOULD be the end of identity politics.

Fine, vote for Biden because he's not Trump.  But you can't bludgeon people with identity politics when you nominated Joe Biden from a field of 20+ candidates.

gut

Wed, May 6, 2020 1:31 PM

Also, just imagine if we have an online Presidential debate the technical issues created talking over each other, or moderators cutting off your audio after time is up.

Not to mention accusations of using a teleprompter to deliver prepared talking points.

O-Trap

Chief Shenanigans Officer

Wed, May 6, 2020 2:27 PM

A woman I know.

Then:

And now:

Come on, people.  The hypocrisy of the mental gymnastics that people are displaying through all this is ridiculous.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Wed, May 6, 2020 2:52 PM
posted by O-Trap

A woman I know.

Then:

And now:

Come on, people.  The hypocrisy of the mental gymnastics that people are displaying through all this is ridiculous.

Agreed.  But people will always look at it through their own filter.  One side never wants to hold itself to the same standard it wants to hold the other side.  Biden himself is on record of saying we need to always believe "survivors".  That is absolutely ludicrous, but he said it.  So he should be held to the same standard.  

QuakerOats

Wed, May 6, 2020 3:02 PM

ptown_trojans_1

Wed, May 6, 2020 3:19 PM

I think it is a wash. Trump supporters already knew of previous allegations and his past, yet still vote for the guy for a whole host of other reasons. I think Biden supporters will be the same. They know his past may be filled with a lot of issues, yet will find a way or reasons to support him. 

It seems like that main reason to support Biden may be simply to beat Trump. 

If there was ever an example of a Realpolitik election, I think this may be it in 2020. 

SportsAndLady

Wed, May 6, 2020 3:39 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

I think it is a wash. Trump supporters already knew of previous allegations and his past, yet still vote for the guy for a whole host of other reasons. I think Biden supporters will be the same. They know his past may be filled with a lot of issues, yet will find a way or reasons to support him. 

It seems like that main reason to support Biden may be simply to beat Trump. 

If there was ever an example of a Realpolitik election, I think this may be it in 2020. 

Oh come on. Trump supporters didn’t care about trump or anyone else doing it because they just don’t really care.  
Biden supporters were asking for Kavanaugh to be banished because of the allegations and now are supporting Biden when it’s practically the same thing. 
I’m not a trump guy and ive had my arguments with trump supporters on here. But lumping the two together is just a terrible comparison. 

O-Trap

Wed, May 6, 2020 4:04 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

Oh come on. Trump supporters didn’t care about trump or anyone else doing it because they just don’t really care.  
Biden supporters were asking for Kavanaugh to be banished because of the allegations and now are supporting Biden when it’s practically the same thing. 
I’m not a trump guy and ive had my arguments with trump supporters on here. But lumping the two together is just a terrible comparison. 

I've got to agree.

Most of the Trump supporters I've seen are only making the comparisons to point out the hypocrisy.  Not to justify their actions in the prior election (though, frankly, the justification arguments are similar ... "Hillary is worse").

Basically, they've been saying all along that there's nuance to each case, and categorically believing one person over another in a "he-said-she-said" because there's nothing dangling between the legs is ludicrous.  That was met with such illogical hostility and accusations of advocating for rapists and rape culture that it seems like they're mostly making the comparisons now because they get to do with with a shit-eating grin and an "I told you so."

Spock

Wed, May 6, 2020 5:37 PM

The big difference here is that Biden has been using his 40 year political career to take advantage of people.  Trump was a private person for that amount of time and even if he did grab some p$^&y.....he wasnt an elected official who used his office to also cover it up.

Wonder how much of that congressional slush fund congress has to pay off allegations were used for fingergate?

O-Trap

Wed, May 6, 2020 5:40 PM
posted by Spock

The big difference here is that Biden has been using his 40 year political career to take advantage of people.  Trump was a private person for that amount of time and even if he did grab some p$^&y.....he wasnt an elected official who used his office to also cover it up.

Wonder how much of that congressional slush fund congress has to pay off allegations were used for fingergate?

Pretty sure sexual assault is equally shitty for private sector people.  This is a weird response.

SportsAndLady

Wed, May 6, 2020 6:06 PM
posted by Spock

Lol what in the fuck?

O-Trap

Wed, May 6, 2020 6:12 PM

Despite the personalities we have on here, if you'd offered me 2:1 odds on whether or not someone on OC would ever use the phrase "even if he did grab some p$^&y," I still don't think I would have taken it.

And yet, here we are.

gut

Wed, May 6, 2020 6:43 PM
posted by O-Trap

... if you'd offered me 2:1 odds on whether or not someone on OC would ever use the phrase "even if he did grab some p$^&y," I still don't think I would have taken it.

I'm putting $10 on  "it was 5% Tara Reade's fault"

BRF

Wed, May 6, 2020 7:47 PM

I’m impressed with the spelling by the poster who typed “P$^&y”. 😆

BRF

Wed, May 6, 2020 7:50 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

It seems like that main reason to support Biden may be simply to beat Trump.

And that is exactly how I feel. 

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, May 7, 2020 3:37 AM

Everyone:  We are pointing out the hypocrisy of the left wanting to place Kavanaugh's head on a stake and now doing a complete 180 with Biden (even though there is more corroborating evidence).

CC: The difference is Biden did it as a public servant for 40 years and trump did it privately as a businessman.

lolwut??

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Thu, May 7, 2020 3:42 AM

Anyway, this whole episode is exactly why (amongst many other examples) I can't take the left seriously when they virtue.  99% of the time they are full of shit and living in a glass house. 

It's remarkable the GOP still falls for this shit too.