2018 Midterm predictions

Home Forums Politics

cbus4life

Ignorant

Mon, Nov 5, 2018 11:53 PM
posted by CenterBHSFan

Video going around from MSNBC saying that voter suppression is already happening across the country. I guess they are hedging a possible loss tomorrow by preempting reasons.

Seen Fox News, and of course Trump, going on about fictional illegal voting, so the right has their bases covered as well.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 5:43 AM
posted by cbus4life

Seen Fox News, and of course Trump, going on about fictional illegal voting, so the right has their bases covered as well.

Just pointing out the irony of me watching something from MSNBC and you watching FOX lol!
Also, the same clip I watched had something about vote hacking in Georgia as well.

friendfromlowry

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 5:48 AM

I hope Ted Cruz loses.

CenterBHSFan

333 - I'm only half evil

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 8:26 AM

Sarah Haider‏ @SarahTheHaider

FollowFollow @SarahTheHaider

More

I know there is a lot coming from the left that is disheartening (to say the least). But please, *please* vote for the Dems tomorrow. There is so much at stake in this election. Vote, and be counted as among those who took a stand.

https://twitter.com/SarahTheHaider/status/1059696669363712000

Seeing all sorts of tweets like this today. "I know they're bad, but vote for them anyway! ;D "

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 8:30 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

I hope Ted Cruz loses.

Beto is pretty terrible for Texas

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 8:32 AM

Comments on that tweet are interesting. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 8:35 AM
posted by friendfromlowry

I hope Ted Cruz loses.

With the money pouring in from all over the country for Beto, I hope he (Beto) loses and a few other close races for the Dems are lost (McCaskill in MO). The infighting will be epic.

QuakerOats

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 10:28 AM
posted by iclfan2

Beto is pretty terrible for Texas

Not just Texas.

BTW, what’s his non-fake name?

Spock

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 12:01 PM

Pollsters are starting to pull predictions and backtrack.  Not good for dems.  Also news reports that polls were heavy early this morning.  Not good for dems.  Their voting base doesn't get up till noon.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 12:33 PM
posted by Spock

Pollsters are starting to pull predictions and backtrack.  Not good for dems.  Also news reports that polls were heavy early this morning.  Not good for dems.  Their voting base doesn't get up till noon.

I love how you go over-the-top to make sure everyone knows you're a fucking idiot at all times.

ptown_trojans_1

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 1:22 PM
posted by Spock

Nope. I'm still seeing the Ds have an 85% chance of taking the House and the Rs a 85% chance of keeping the Senate. 

queencitybuckeye

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 1:37 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Nope. I'm still seeing the Ds have an 85% chance of taking the House and the Rs a 85% chance of keeping the Senate. 

Is there reason to believe that these predictions will be any more accurate than those of two years ago?

ptown_trojans_1

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 1:41 PM
posted by queencitybuckeye

Is there reason to believe that these predictions will be any more accurate than those of two years ago?

Yeah. They are not predictive, they are probabilistic.  538 has been pretty damn clear that just because it is 85% does not mean it is certain. A 15% chance of Rs keeping the House is not outside the realm of possibility. That is one of the many lessons of 2016 and that people took 85% to mean it is going to happen, when in reality, that 15% did occur. 

queencitybuckeye

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 1:52 PM
posted by ptown_trojans_1

Yeah. They are not predictive, they are probabilistic.  538 has been pretty damn clear that just because it is 85% does not mean it is certain. A 15% chance of Rs keeping the House is not outside the realm of possibility. That is one of the many lessons of 2016 and that people took 85% to mean it is going to happen, when in reality, that 15% did occur. 

IOW, when it goes against either or both of these probabilities, they can claim not to have been wrong.

ptown_trojans_1

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 2:02 PM

IOW, when it goes against either or both of these probabilities, they can claim not to have been wrong.

Well, in a probabilistic model you are not right or wrong, you are just giving the odds. It's like Vegas and gambling. 

I'll just say too: 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/final-election-update-democrats-arent-certain-to-take-the-house-but-theyre-pretty-clear-favorites/

like_that

1st Team All-PWN

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 2:18 PM

Pretty much this.  Silver has it good.

ptown_trojans_1

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 2:39 PM
posted by like_that

Pretty much this.  Silver has it good.

That he does. But, I think he does a good job at calling out pundits for their BS. 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 2:57 PM

Each year I care less and less about politics.  Each year I think I feel kinda better about feeling less and less about politics.

Spock

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 3:03 PM
posted by Heretic

I love how you go over-the-top to make sure everyone knows you're a fucking idiot at all times.

Good.  At least i know i have you thinking I am an idiot.  

QuakerOats

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 3:23 PM

Should be fun to watch the liberal media again:  if D’s take the House, it will be a complete repudiation of Trump and all things they deem Trumpian --- misogyny, Nazism, racial bigotry, white Nationalism etc..etc..; if R’s keep the House, it will be because educated white women stayed home.  Same ole, same ole.

I think I will get a dozen chicken wings and fill up the growler with a good craft beer and sit back and watch it play out like the orchestrated propaganda that it is.

kizer permanente

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 6:08 PM

Just saw an exit poll question of “do you think we need more women representation in office” and it was of course lopsidedly high. But who’s going to say no and look like a sexist to a stranger? That’s a terrible question if you’re actually looking for useful information. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 6:28 PM
posted by kizer permanente

Just saw an exit poll question of “do you think we need more women representation in office” and it was of course lopsidedly high. But who’s going to say no and look like a sexist to a stranger? That’s a terrible question if you’re actually looking for useful information. 

I would've said no out of spite. I like playing the heel in these matters.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 6:32 PM

Finally got a chance to vote tonight. Lady wearing a yard sign as a vest, asking everyone walking into the polling location if they want the list of all democrat candidates annoyed me. Also, finding the same list sitting in my voting booth was cool. When I put my ballot in the machine it registered an error because I didn't vote for every race, was supposed to kick the ballot back and allow me to click "Cast ballot". Ballot never came back so I'm not 100% sure my vote was even registered.

So, yeah, I love voting.

SportsAndLady

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 6:59 PM

Is Illinois the only state where they don’t check IDs to vote? I brought my ID both this morning and for the presidential elections in ‘16 and neither time they asked to see my ID. 

I could have casted 500 votes today if I really wanted to. 

Spock

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 7:04 PM
posted by justincredible

Finally got a chance to vote tonight. Lady wearing a yard sign as a vest, asking everyone walking into the polling location if they want the list of all democrat candidates annoyed me. Also, finding the same list sitting in my voting booth was cool. When I put my ballot in the machine it registered an error because I didn't vote for every race, was supposed to kick the ballot back and allow me to click "Cast ballot". Ballot never came back so I'm not 100% sure my vote was even registered.

So, yeah, I love voting.

All of that is against the law.  Should have complained....videoed it then send to Fox news.