2020 MLB Thread

Home Forums Sports

Laley23

GOAT

Sat, Apr 11, 2020 2:39 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

But but but, 4 years ago the second place team was 2 games out of making the playoffs and another team was .500!

Did I strike a cord pointing out the facts you were wrong about?

SportsAndLady

Sat, Apr 11, 2020 4:29 PM
posted by Laley23

Did I strike a cord pointing out the facts you were wrong about?

No not at all. Was funny to see an Indians fan complain about being in a tough division. Don’t be so sensitive. 

Laley23

GOAT

Sat, Apr 11, 2020 8:42 PM
posted by SportsAndLady

No not at all. Was funny to see an Indians fan complain about being in a tough division. Don’t be so sensitive. 

But I wasn’t complaining. You just assumed I was. I stated I wasn’t thrilled about being with a Dodgers (best in MLB), White Sox and Reds (best teams built for a jump during rebuild) and Angels (probably won’t be great, but won’t suck. Plus have Trout).

Of course is rather play the Tigers and Royals 36 times and get cheap wins, but I wasn’t complaining. Anyone would choose the easier path and not be thrilled with the tougher one in a sport where you don’t get “battle-tested”, you simply just miss the playoffs.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 11:05 AM
posted by Laley23

But I wasn’t complaining. You just assumed I was. I stated I wasn’t thrilled about being with a Dodgers (best in MLB), White Sox and Reds (best teams built for a jump during rebuild) and Angels (probably won’t be great, but won’t suck. Plus have Trout).

Of course is rather play the Tigers and Royals 36 times and get cheap wins, but I wasn’t complaining. Anyone would choose the easier path and not be thrilled with the tougher one in a sport where you don’t get “battle-tested”, you simply just miss the playoffs.

I just wanna see some ball that counts. Since I’m skeptical until further notice with my Reds ever making the playoffs I don’t care who is in their division. 

SportsAndLady

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 11:55 AM
posted by Laley23

Jesus, dude. It was a playful jab at your division (not even your team). So sensitive. 

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Apr 12, 2020 2:50 PM
posted by Ironman92

I just wanna see some ball that counts. Since I’m skeptical until further notice with my Reds ever making the playoffs I don’t care who is in their division. 

Plus, with Golf being all the top events and football in theory starting, I won’t be quite as pissed. More distractions.

thavoice

Fri, Apr 17, 2020 9:52 AM

Would anyone like this sort of setup that was proposed a few years ago by someone...

Two leagues.

National.
American.

*Each team plays the same amount of games against their own league.

*Intra league play:

---Rivalry series home and home.

---Set number of games vs those in your same 'pod' of where you finished sort of like the NFL.  Top 3 NL plays top 3 of the AL.  4-7 of each play, etc.  This gives 5 total IL series (2 vs your designated rival and 3 vs those in your pod).

The amount of IL series could be altered to the liking of MLB.  I think IL play needs to stay.  No reason why in the longest season of professional sports that you cannot play the other league.

This balances it out much more, and quite honest i dont need to see 15+ games vs the same team in your division each year like it is now

BR1986FB

Thu, Apr 30, 2020 2:01 PM

The Orioles Trey Mancini has stage 3 colon cancer.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, May 14, 2020 6:21 PM

Blake Snell 

My new least favorite player. Tone deaf dumb ass

cat_lover

Thu, May 14, 2020 8:34 PM

Yeah he doesn't want to play if he's not getting his full salary. Tough nuggies!! Play Ball.

Rotinaj

Fri, May 15, 2020 6:15 AM

"I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%"

Ok, he has a bit of a point here. Sucks for them.

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

Then he goes on to say this. LOL dude, WAY more money than most people make, that's how much. 

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, May 15, 2020 10:28 AM
posted by Rotinaj

"I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%"

Ok, he has a bit of a point here. Sucks for them.

"On top of that, it's getting taxed. So imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

Then he goes on to say this. LOL dude, WAY more money than most people make, that's how much. 

I hate that argument. Because someone makes way more than most people they should fight for what is right? Owners are 100% wrong here and trying to use the media to push an agenda making the players look bad to fans. They negotiated a new deal 2 months ago, they need to stick by it.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, May 15, 2020 10:48 AM

Trevor Bauer made the point better with the way he phrased it. Basically saying that if you were a painter who signed a contract to handle all the painting work for a landlord and half that landlord's apartments burned down, so you and the landlord come to an agreement to alter the contract to half the rate because half the apartments. But then, the landlord comes to you saying that, for whatever reason(s), he won't be able to rent out all those apartments, so you need to take an even lower rate based on their rental income. So now, your rate is not even based on the amount of work you do, but basically on what they feel they can pay you.

Ironman92

Administrator

Fri, May 15, 2020 11:02 AM

He could’ve stated that he was donating $30 million dollars to hungry kids across America but he’d still be a douche for how he went about saying it

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, May 15, 2020 12:35 PM
posted by Ironman92

He could’ve stated that he was donating $30 million dollars to hungry kids across America but he’d still be a douche for how he went about saying it

Frankly, they were doing this all behind closed doors until the owners very brashly went public with it. I have no problems with players calling them out on their hypocrisy publicly now that it’s out there.

Ironman92

Administrator

Fri, May 15, 2020 1:32 PM
posted by Laley23

Frankly, they were doing this all behind closed doors until the owners very brashly went public with it. I have no problems with players calling them out on their hypocrisy publicly now that it’s out there.

Then just don’t play. I don’t think he could’ve said it worse.

Rotinaj

Fri, May 15, 2020 4:05 PM
posted by Laley23

I hate that argument. Because someone makes way more than most people they should fight for what is right? Owners are 100% wrong here and trying to use the media to push an agenda making the players look bad to fans. They negotiated a new deal 2 months ago, they need to stick by it.

I agree with you about them getting the shaft but the way he said it makes it sound like he’s going to be paid peanuts. 

Al Bundy

Fri, May 15, 2020 5:05 PM

Many people with contracts in other fields have taken paycuts during these times. Snell and Bauer are two of the most selfish players that I have ever seen. The last time MLB has run into anything like this was WW2. Back then, most players did whatever they could do to help the country (either by serving or playing at a reduced rate because FDR wanted baseball to continue as a diversion for people). Snell and Bauer have the opportunity to create some diversion for country (while still getting millions), and these douchebags want to try to squeeze every last penny instead of doing the right thing.

Ironman92

Administrator

Fri, May 15, 2020 5:47 PM
posted by Rotinaj

I agree with you about them getting the shaft but the way he said it makes it sound like he’s going to be paid peanuts. 

The way he said it you’d think he was paying the owners to sleep with his wife

Ironman92

Administrator

Mon, May 18, 2020 9:05 PM

Starling Marte’s wife fell and broke her ankle and while waiting on surgery had a heart attack and died.

Damn that’s awful

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, May 19, 2020 11:02 AM
posted by Ironman92

Starling Marte’s wife fell and broke her ankle and while waiting on surgery had a heart attack and died.

Damn that’s awful

Yeah, saw that last night. Really sad and the sort of thing that has to be so insanely unexpected it'd be absolutely horrible. Going in for something super-routine and that happening.