2022 College Football

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Fri, Jul 1, 2022 1:26 PM
posted by Laley23

There will not be a Pac-12 without USC and UCLA. Arizona and Oregon probably next to go. Colorado and the lesser schools make sense for Big 12 expansion.

I’d put Washington and Oregon ahead of anyone else for also joining the big ten  

BR1986FB

Fri, Jul 1, 2022 1:38 PM

As an NFL/Browns fan, the favorable thing about this will be seeing how USC/UCLA players perform in the dead of winter in places like Columbus, Lansing & Ann Arbor in not ideal conditions. Will likely be a pretty small sample size though.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sat, Jul 2, 2022 5:48 PM

I hate that we’ll be losing more regional rivalries for these cross sectional matchups. I love when Ohio State plays Purdue, MSU, Illinois, Iowa because there is so much history and tradition there.  Those teams are from similar places where football has a similar value.  Those are the traditions that made college football unique and different than the NFL.  They’re gone with night game extravaganzas featuring two teams from opposite sides of the country.  

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Jul 2, 2022 6:05 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

It erodes the regional nature of CFB, but it’s just the way things are going.

Who’d have ever thought while watching a Rose Bowl between  Ohio State and USC in the 1980s that they’d one day end up in the same conference. 

If not for their natural rivalry with Rutgers and Maryland….never would’ve got them

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sat, Jul 2, 2022 7:56 PM
posted by Ironman92

If not for their natural rivalry with Rutgers and Maryland….never would’ve got them

True.  The Rutgers and Maryland additions have been great.  

Al Bundy

Sat, Jul 2, 2022 9:27 PM

I hate that we’ll be losing more regional rivalries for these cross sectional matchups. I love when Ohio State plays Purdue, MSU, Illinois, Iowa because there is so much history and tradition there.  Those teams are from similar places where football has a similar value.  Those are the traditions that made college football unique and different than the NFL.  They’re gone with night game extravaganzas featuring two teams from opposite sides of the country.  

It will be interesting to see how they organize the schedule and the rotation of teams that you don't play yearly.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Sun, Jul 3, 2022 9:44 AM
posted by Al Bundy

It will be interesting to see how they organize the schedule and the rotation of teams that you don't play yearly.

It seems like two super conferences is the end game.  College football always had the tradition and local peculiarities of close by games over the NFL.  The NFL does intersectional, cross country and playoffs way better than college football.  So if you take away the advantage CFB had over the NFL and then add to it the fact that the actual product in the field in the NFL is far superior to CFB ever since CFB went all in on pro-style offenses in the mid naughts, and I don’t see CFB standing a good chance of staying as strong in the long term.  

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Jul 18, 2022 8:46 PM

Heard someone on the radio today talking about relegation in college football - the European soccer system.  

This guy was saying that maybe we end up with two power conferences. That would be 40 or so teams.  The other 90 teams would be in the tier below.  Every year the bottom 5-8 teams from the power conferences would go down to be replaced by the top tier 2 teams.

Seems like an interesting way to give all teams, including non SEC or B1G something to play for.  

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Jul 18, 2022 9:43 PM

I like that. Indiana may be able to win something for once!

Al Bundy

Tue, Jul 19, 2022 6:59 PM

Heard someone on the radio today talking about relegation in college football - the European soccer system.  

This guy was saying that maybe we end up with two power conferences. That would be 40 or so teams.  The other 90 teams would be in the tier below.  Every year the bottom 5-8 teams from the power conferences would go down to be replaced by the top tier 2 teams.

Seems like an interesting way to give all teams, including non SEC or B1G something to play for.  

I'd be shocked if that happens because this is all run by money. TV market size of schools has more influence than the quality of their football.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Tue, Jul 19, 2022 7:43 PM
posted by Al Bundy

I'd be shocked if that happens because this is all run by money. TV market size of schools has more influence than the quality of their football.

But it’s likely the top 25-30 schools (which would include those that draw the largest tv audiences) would never be in danger of relegation.  Also, it would give the tier 2 games perhaps a bigger attractiveness to average viewers since a group of them would be plying for promotion.

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Mon, Aug 8, 2022 11:28 PM

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Thu, Sep 1, 2022 4:22 PM

Today is the 15th anniversary of App State putting the beatdown on UM.  WHat a great day for the leaders and the best.

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Fri, Sep 2, 2022 3:16 PM

Prediction on OSU/ND:

Ohio State 35

Notre Dame 24

QuakerOats

Fri, Sep 2, 2022 3:40 PM

Prediction on OSU/ND:

Ohio State 35

Notre Dame 24

Looks reasonable

Ironman92

Administrator

Fri, Sep 2, 2022 6:58 PM

Yeah too many things won’t allow this to be a blowout

Ironman92

Administrator

Fri, Sep 2, 2022 10:56 PM

Old Dominion, picked to finish last in the Sun Belt….just beat Virginia Tech

iclfan2

Reppin' the 330/216/843

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 1:13 AM
posted by Ironman92

Old Dominion, picked to finish last in the Sun Belt….just beat Virginia Tech

Love it, pretty solid game. Now for the real ones today. 

Devils Advocate

Brudda o da bomber

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 12:01 PM
posted by Ironman92

Yeah too many things won’t allow this to be a blowout

Catholic Refs?

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 12:52 PM
posted by Devils Advocate

Catholic Refs?

Refs were Big12

My comment was based on traffic sucked all day…driving in to hotel, then from hotel to stadium, then trying to park. My patience for that was shot….so I knew damn well the game would be down to the final play to keep 70,000 people trying to get out of the parking lot at the same time.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 3:09 PM

In a thrilling Iowa-South Dakota State game, the fourth quarter score currently is 5-3 in favor of the Hawkeyes, which might be the most Iowa thing ever.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 3:41 PM

UNC and App St is a defensive display

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 4:02 PM

Holy Crap the App St QB.

What a choke job

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sat, Sep 3, 2022 4:17 PM
posted by Ironman92

Holy Crap the App St QB.

What a choke job

The final minutes of that thing were just insanity in the form of football. Who would have thought returning an onside kick for points would almost be a huge blunder?