Ohio State Basketball 2019/20 thread

Home Forums Sports

cat_lover

Wed, Nov 13, 2019 10:58 PM

Basketball Bucks deserve a thread of there own.

Very nice wins over Cincinnati and Villanova to start the season.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 2:37 PM

Yeah, looking good so far. Especially considering they're not at full strength with A. Wesson hurt and Jallow not having suited up. Obviously the former more than the latter, but still, having that success with your rotation missing one big piece and one role player is a good sign.

Laley23

GOAT

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 6:50 PM

Will be good for the conference to have a few stud teams OOC. Michigan State will be one and Maryland has looked great, but the rest was kind of a toss-up going into the season. Purdue looks awful thus far and they, with OSU, were the next best hope. OSU becoming a legit top team OOC helps everyone in conference with the ability to get some big wins on the resume. 

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Nov 16, 2019 3:54 PM

I would very much enjoy getting into watching OSU basketball again...it’s been a few years since I cared much.

cat_lover

Wed, Nov 27, 2019 4:21 PM

Bucks with a nice win on Monday night over Kent State.

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 8:50 PM

Hope to catch the game tonight. Looking like I'll miss the first half though.

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 9:50 PM

Those script Buckeyes jerseys are fire.

mhs95_06

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 10:31 PM

In the 2nd half the Buckeyes need to stop fumbling the ball.

cat_lover

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 11:36 PM

Buckeyes 74
Tar Heels 49
Heel Yes
Go Bucks

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, Dec 4, 2019 11:55 PM

That was an ass kicking.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 9:49 AM

I picked a good one to watch.

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 12:15 PM

It really was. I was there, the Dome was rocking. Then Bacot went down. Completely changed the game. But, OSU was phenomenal in the 2nd half and Carolina was garbage. OSU was running basic concepts on O and the Heels couldn’t do anything. 

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 1:26 PM

The Bacot injury definitely hurt Carolina. They had a bit of run right after he went down, but didn't have much of anything in the second half. Still, I'd say Carolina's biggest problem is that if a team has enough presence defensively to not let them get to the hoop and force them to try jumpers, they are in trouble because, man, those dudes reminded me of when I was playing pick-up in college trying to throw up shit. It's one thing to hear the announcers talking about how they're not a good shooting team, but then when you watch airballs and balls barely hitting the rim with regularity, it's kind of jarring.

Automatik

Thu, Dec 5, 2019 1:28 PM

I don't know anything about this UNC team, but it seems they have zero playmakers. 

Ohio State...."who's got it better than us?!" 

What a time to be a fan. Reminds me of '06. Hopefully things turn out better in 19/20.

cat_lover

Mon, Dec 9, 2019 11:10 AM

Buckeyes open up Big Ten play with a 106-74 butt whipping of Penn State.

Automatik

Mon, Dec 9, 2019 12:53 PM

#3 in the AP.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Dec 10, 2019 9:50 PM

OSU should be #1, but it will be Kansas.

slingshot4ever

Thu, Dec 12, 2019 6:46 PM
posted by Laley23

OSU should be #1, but it will be Kansas.

If OSU can keep this up they will get to play first weekend of tourney in Cleveland.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Dec 12, 2019 8:44 PM
posted by slingshot4ever

If OSU can keep this up they will get to play first weekend of tourney in Cleveland.

I would assume they’d have to collapse to miss that. Even a 4 seed should get them the regional advantage.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Mon, Dec 16, 2019 10:50 AM

Suffered first loss last night as they looked a bit listless, they were missing Washington and Minnesota looked really good for one night.

As a fun side note, if Northwestern would upset Michigan State, home teams would be 14-0 in the first two games of the conference schedule and all 14 teams in the B1G would be 1-1 in conference play.

Laley23

GOAT

Mon, Dec 16, 2019 12:21 PM

Back to back years OSU is #1 in the initial NET Rankings. 

cat_lover

Tue, Jan 14, 2020 6:20 PM

Luther Muhamed and Dwayne Washington suspended for tonight's game against Nebraska for not meeting program expectations.

Laley23

GOAT

Thu, Jan 23, 2020 11:11 PM

Has anyone ever been ranked #1 and miss the NCAA since it expanded to 64?

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Jan 24, 2020 10:16 AM
posted by Laley23

Has anyone ever been ranked #1 and miss the NCAA since it expanded to 64?

Well, Ohio State peaked at #2, so that won't happen!

But, yeah, they've fallen off a cliff. Too many turnovers and I have to say that he might have lost weight and gotten in better shape, but Kaleb has also transformed into a really soft, finesse player. Big 10 has a lot of teams that play physical and bang and he's out there, happy to shoot 3s and flip up hooks. 1-10 last night and 44% for the year is just unacceptable for a talented post player who's supposed to be the team's leader. I mean, it's cool he isn't constantly in foul trouble like last year, but it just feels like the offensive fouls he was getting called for all the time last year affected him mentally and he's not the same player offensively as far as aggression goes. And if that doesn't change, the team's current play isn't going to get better because they are over-depending on the three-ball and simply aren't good enough at shooting them consistently to be able to be that dependent on them.

wkfan

Fri, Jan 24, 2020 11:23 AM
posted by Heretic

Well, Ohio State peaked at #2, so that won't happen!

But, yeah, they've fallen off a cliff. Too many turnovers and I have to say that he might have lost weight and gotten in better shape, but Kaleb has also transformed into a really soft, finesse  LAZY player. Big 10 has a lot of teams that play physical and bang and he's out there, happy to shoot MISS 3s and flip up hooks. 1-10 last night and 44% for the year is just unacceptable for a talented post player who's supposed to be the team's leader. I mean, it's cool he isn't constantly in foul trouble like last year, but it just feels like the offensive fouls he was getting called for all the time last year affected him mentally and he's not the same player offensively as far as aggression goes. And if that doesn't change, the team's current play isn't going to get better because they are over-depending on the three-ball and simply aren't good enough at shooting them consistently to be able to be that dependent on them.

FIFY

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Fri, Jan 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Won't deny the LAZY, at least as far as offense goes, but even after going 0-3 from 3 last night, he's still over 40%, so he is a good shooter. My problem is that, to me, being good at 3P shooting should be a supplement to his post game and instead, he's making it the core element of his game. About gives me the impression that he feels his basketball future is more of a wing or finesse 4 than an actual post player and he's getting acclimated to that now, even though that style of play isn't a good fit for the B1G. And, even worse, it doesn't even really seem to work well with his team. If you're playing outside as a post, in theory that should free up space in the inside for other guys to drive to the hoop, but with a couple exceptions (mainly Carton and Walker), driving and shooting isn't something that is seen often because most of their guards and wings are happy to just pass it around a bit and throw up a three.