Cincinnati Reds 2022 season thread

Home Forums Sports

sportchampps

Wed, May 4, 2022 5:39 PM

If I’m Votto after what happened in the off-season i don’t blame him if he says f it and coasts and collects a paycheck it’s what ownership is doing. Dude gave his career for a joke of a franchise. 

friendfromlowry

Wed, May 4, 2022 6:19 PM

Yeah it’d be interesting to know what’s going through Votto’s head. On one hand, he can wipe away his tears with plenty of $100 bills. But year 16 in the league, four playoff appearances, no playoff series wins. 

Am I looking at that correctly? 16 seasons, only two playoff games won (2012 where they won the first games vs Giants then lost the following three which still haunts me today) Swept by the Phillies in 2010, lost wild card game in 2013, swept by Braves in 2020.

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, May 4, 2022 8:50 PM
posted by sportchampps

If I’m Votto after what happened in the off-season i don’t blame him if he says f it and coasts and collects a paycheck it’s what ownership is doing. Dude gave his career for a joke of a franchise. 

He’s been adequately compensated

Ironman92

Administrator

Wed, May 4, 2022 8:51 PM
posted by friendfromlowry

Yeah it’d be interesting to know what’s going through Votto’s head. On one hand, he can wipe away his tears with plenty of $100 bills. But year 16 in the league, four playoff appearances, no playoff series wins. 

Am I looking at that correctly? 16 seasons, only two playoff games won (2012 where they won the first games vs Giants then lost the following three which still haunts me today) Swept by the Phillies in 2010, lost wild card game in 2013, swept by Braves in 2020.

And he was not good in those playoff games.

friendfromlowry

Wed, May 4, 2022 9:48 PM

Justin is going to come in here and ban us soon for the Votto slander.

friendfromlowry

Wed, May 4, 2022 11:33 PM

Holy fuck put this team out of its misery already. Can the season be done now

Laley23

GOAT

Wed, May 4, 2022 11:47 PM

3-21?!?!? So bad.

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, May 5, 2022 6:45 AM

QuakerOats

Thu, May 5, 2022 11:06 AM

Even the Pirates might be in line for a series sweep this weekend. 

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Thu, May 5, 2022 12:44 PM

Ironman92

Administrator

Thu, May 5, 2022 2:59 PM

Lol

Just throw straight fastballs, don’t pitch

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Thu, May 5, 2022 3:12 PM

That pitching staff is just over-the-top bad. Getting to the point where giving up less than 10 runs in a game probably feels like a moral victory. I was randomly checking in from time to time while working. The first time I looked at the score, it was 3-0 Reds. Didn't feel like it was much longer and I looked again and it was 3-6. With all that done in two innings.

brutus161

The Navy Guy

Thu, May 5, 2022 4:00 PM

I have never had a team make me this sad, and I'm a Jaguars fan

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Thu, May 5, 2022 4:15 PM
posted by brutus161

I have never had a team make me this sad, and I'm a Jaguars fan

Echoed as a Jets fan. 

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Fri, May 6, 2022 10:04 AM

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Fri, May 6, 2022 10:05 AM

Wonder if Phil has found himself yet...

QuakerOats

Fri, May 6, 2022 10:21 AM

Reds scored 3 in the top of the first and it looked hopeful, then the Brewcrew answered with 3 in the bottom half.  Bad juju ...... when will it end?

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Fri, May 6, 2022 3:47 PM

Reds already have an 11 game and a 9 game losing streak this season. 

Rotinaj

Sat, May 7, 2022 4:36 AM
posted by justincredible

Reds already have an 11 game and a 9 game losing streak this season. 

Reds are responsible for 9/11 confirmed.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, May 7, 2022 4:01 PM

Reds dominate Pirates

justincredible

Honorable Admin

Sat, May 7, 2022 4:23 PM

A 7-spot in the 8th. That's like a weeks worth of runs in one inning.

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sun, May 8, 2022 12:43 PM

At least the Pirates got the second game. But it still feels like a humiliating day. Probably because of that 8th inning. Get nothing out of a bases loaded, no outs situation and then have a total pitching meltdown. That's the Pirates I've been conditioned to expect these last couple years.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sun, May 8, 2022 4:36 PM
posted by Heretic

At least the Pirates got the second game. But it still feels like a humiliating day. Probably because of that 8th inning. Get nothing out of a bases loaded, no outs situation and then have a total pitching meltdown. That's the Pirates I've been conditioned to expect these last couple years.

If it makes you feel any better Chad Kuhl is top 10 in ERA and Batting Avarage Against

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Sun, May 8, 2022 9:28 PM
posted by Ironman92

If it makes you feel any better Chad Kuhl is top 10 in ERA and Batting Avarage Against

While I don't think Kuhl is better than a low-end rotation piece and that good start is a mirage, I'm at the conclusion that the big difference between the Pirates and equally cheap Cleveland over these past few years has been the ability to consistently develop pitching -- which is weird considered that for a good while, Searage was considered an elite pitching coach.

But it just is so rare that ANYONE winds up being better than expected and they've had some huge flops. Glasnow sucked as a Pirate; as a TB player, the only thing keeping him from elite status has been his injury history. Currently, equally-touted Keller has also sucked, alternating between decent starts and ones where he gets bombed. And guys like Kuhl and other lesser-tier pieces tend to be the same way. Don't know if its the fault of the minor league developmental or at the MLB level, but as a small-market team, if they can't fix that, they'll never contend for even those brief windows that small-market teams tend to have.

ernest_t_bass

12th Son of the Lama

Mon, May 9, 2022 7:15 AM

World Series or bust!