2019/2020 College Basketball

Home Forums Sports

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Feb 8, 2020 3:09 PM

Hope everyone got to see that. Wow that was emotional.

Closure.

Hit me pretty hard. Knight was the man for so long when I was growing up and young adult.

Tough watching legends near their end. So glad he came back for this.

Ironman92

Administrator

Sat, Feb 8, 2020 3:14 PM

Whew...Vitale got me too

thavoice

Sat, Feb 8, 2020 7:30 PM
posted by Ironman92

Hope everyone got to see that. Wow that was emotional.

Closure.

Hit me pretty hard. Knight was the man for so long when I was growing up and young adult.

Tough watching legends near their end. So glad he came back for this.

Same.  Still gets to me thinking about it. Growing up 10 miles from Indiana we had all ft Wayne stations and they covered every game and also senior night ceremonies.  I vaguely remember the Isiah Thomas days but vividly the Alford and beyond.  I even still have that 1987 bracket!  It may sound dumb but I now feel like I can become a full fledged fan again.  In every other sports I root for the name on the front of the Unis, but the ending was like a parental divorce to me.  I still liked IU but BK was where my heart was.    

He almost coached in Celina high school in West Central Ohio but they wanted him to also coach another sport.  Who knows what happens if he accepted.  He has faults, as we all, but he has done so much good over the years.  When I heard last.nigjt he was rumored to come back I could not wait to see him.   A tough, hard nosed person who also had a side to him that made wherever he went better.   I am glad Coach Knight has finally come home.  I did not realize how much it was going to effect me but it's been profound.   Welcome home coach.  Go Hoosiers

BRF

Sat, Feb 8, 2020 8:15 PM

From a guy who is from Coach Knight’s hometown and knew his parents, I was stunned how he looked at this appearance since I had last seen him. 

superman

Sat, Feb 8, 2020 8:47 PM

Fuck Ted Valentine.  

wildcats20

In ROY I Trust!!

Sat, Feb 8, 2020 9:06 PM

TV Teddy strikes again. 

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Feb 9, 2020 6:51 PM

I don’t know what changed his mind, but happy it did. My guess it’s the fact he is losing his memory in a bad way, probably doesn’t remember why/how mad he was at them for the firing. 

BRF

Sun, Feb 9, 2020 7:31 PM

Or maybe everybody involved in the dismissal is no longer with the school?

Laley23

GOAT

Sun, Feb 9, 2020 8:59 PM
posted by BRF

Or maybe everybody involved in the dismissal is no longer with the school?

Havent been for over 15 years. He literally spurned them for other, frankly, more important team reunions. He went to a Bloomington South HS game lol. Refused to say "Indiana" and actively stayed out of the state. Went to a damn Purdue game to honor Gene Keady a few years ago. He held a grudge for a REALLY long time. His memory and all around health has declined significantly in the last few months (reported) and all of a sudden he shows up. 

Dr Winston O'Boogie

Mon, Feb 10, 2020 3:06 PM

I'm glad Knight came back.  He held his grudge for too long.  It was an ugly episode when he got fired, but it was 20 years ago.  No one involved is still at IU.  Maybe his health is deteriorating some, so you never know how long he's got to do this.  It brought some closure and I hope he enjoyed being there.  

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 12:41 PM
posted by Dr Winston O'Boogie

I'm glad Knight came back.  He held his grudge for too long.  It was an ugly episode when he got fired, but it was 20 years ago.  No one involved is still at IU.  Maybe his health is deteriorating some, so you never know how long he's got to do this.  It brought some closure and I hope he enjoyed being there.  

some? He’s not well at all

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 12:48 PM
posted by Ironman92

some? He’s not well at all

Yeah, all you had to do is see him on TV for more than a second or two Saturday and it'd be pretty apparent that he's on his last legs. I'd heard about his health being in decline and still was kind of taken aback by how feeble he seemed. The combination of Dickie V (aka: the patron saint of old-timers) doing an otherwise meaningless (other than jockeying for bubble space) midwestern basketball game and him finally coming back to Indiana really gave me the impression it was a last hurrah reconciliation, in the same vein as someone forgiving someone else while on their deathbed.

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 1:59 PM

Whatever it was, I’m glad it happened and glad I was watching

Heretic

Son of the Sun

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 4:57 PM
posted by Ironman92

Whatever it was, I’m glad it happened and glad I was watching

Yeah, I was, too. I didn't even really know it was happening and just tuned in because it was a B1G game and had a couple hours to chill in between running to one place and to another place. I'm sure it'd been broadcast that it would happen, but I didn't know it was until I heard the announcers talking about it. And for whatever reason it did happen, it was good to see it and the crowd really seemed to appreciate the moment.

Laley23

GOAT

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 6:45 PM
posted by Heretic

Yeah, I was, too. I didn't even really know it was happening and just tuned in because it was a B1G game and had a couple hours to chill in between running to one place and to another place. I'm sure it'd been broadcast that it would happen, but I didn't know it was until I heard the announcers talking about it. And for whatever reason it did happen, it was good to see it and the crowd really seemed to appreciate the moment.

There have been rumors of it over the last 5 years. They never panned out. Seth Davis “confirmed” it late Friday night. So, no real notice was given at all. He and Keady were jointly honored at the Pacers game that night and it apparently took a lot of the 1980 team to convince Pat to convince his dad.

thavoice

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 7:01 PM

As a Hoosier fan since the 80s I know this went a very long way for the old time fans to forgive, forget and bring closure so to speak.  

It rekindled a lot of older fans Spirit in the program again.

Wonder if Cuban and Steeele  hopped on a plane Friday night when this started to leak out.

Didn't realize how I would feel this way.  

It is sad to see Coach like this.  Tix were tough to come by in Bloomington so we would go to the Hoosier Classic in Indy a few times, one of the cupcake classics IU would have.   

I hope him the best as this will never be duplicated

Ironman92

Administrator

Tue, Feb 11, 2020 11:19 PM

Dang, Illinois flying down court down 1 to MSU and guy slips and does something bad to his leg as time expired. Looked awful